TORONTO — Ontario is reporting 258 new cases of COVID-19 today and 33 more deaths.
That brings Ontario to a total of 21,494 cases, a 1.2 per cent increase over the previous day — the lowest growth rate since early March.
The number of new cases is the lowest since late March.
The total includes 1,798 deaths and 16,204 cases that have been resolved, which is now more than 75 per cent of the total.
Hospitalizations increased, though the numbers of people in intensive care and on ventilators decreased.
Ontario’s top doctor is set to release new COVID-19 testing guidelines today, as the province releases details on its reopening plan.
The new guidelines from chief medical officer of health Dr. David Williams will say anyone with symptoms can be tested.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says in a tweet that doing so “will help identify and contain new cases and monitor any shifts in community spread to keep Ontarians safe.”
She says nearly every long-term care home resident and worker has now been tested, so testing will expand to other vulnerable populations, including people in retirement homes, shelters and group homes.
Premier Doug Ford is also expected to provide more details today on the first stage of Ontario’s reopening plan.
Earlier this week, Ford teased “good news” would be coming, saying people have been following pandemic protocols.
He said the plan will include reopening more low-risk workplaces, seasonal businesses and essential services.
Stage 1 in the province’s reopening framework also includes allowing more people to gather at certain events such as funerals.
It would also permit hospitals to resume some non-urgent surgeries.
The province has extended its state of emergency to keep pandemic public health measures in place until June 2.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 14, 2020.
The Canadian Press