By: Mike Anderson
The number of patients in intensive care units across the province has more than tripled since Wednesday, according to Ontario’s Ministry of Health and Long-term care.
There were 17 COVID-19 patients in ICUs on March 25, on March 28 that number rose to 63, with 46 on ventilators.
At yesterday’s media briefing, Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer, said the number is a concern and is “slowly coming up.”
He also said that if some hospitals become overburdened, the province will use paramedics to transfer ICU patients to regional hospitals where the demand is not as great.
Some York Region hospitals are now reporting the number of patients in ICUs, including Southlake Regional Health Centre.
According to Southlake’s website, there are currently six patients in intensive care as of 3 p.m., March 28.
While there are no positive patients reported in inpatient care, the hospital is waiting for test results for a further 15 patients.
So far, at Southlake’s assessment centre, thirty patients have screened positive for COVID-19, but all have been discharged and are in quarantine.
Southlake is also appealing to the community to donate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Any unused, unopened and unexpired PPE can be donated directly to the hospital.
Deliveries can be made to Southlake’s receiving department at 596 Davis Drive in Newmarket, Monday to Friday from 8am to 3:30pm.
Click here for more information.
- Harvestfest opens window into Georgina’s past - September 21, 2023
- Keswick girl raises money for her own Marathon of Hope - September 16, 2023
- Georgina Marathon keeps getting bigger and better - September 13, 2023