By: Mike Anderson
Residents 80 years of age and older can receive a COVID-19 vaccine shot at the Georgina Ice Palace in Keswick starting on March 3.
Residents who were born in 1941 or earlier can book an appointment starting March 1 by visiting York.ca/COVID19vaccine
Anyone who is not able or comfortable booking an appointment online is encouraged to seek out a support person (caregiver, family member or friend) who can assist them with the booking.
According to York Region, vaccines will be available by appointment only and only for York Region residents.
Walk-in appointments are not available and those visiting a clinic without an appointment will be turned away.
The Georgina Ice Palace and Richmond Green Sports Centre (starting March 1) were recently added to a list of York Region vaccination clinics, which were slated to open on March 1.
“York Region’s first and foremost priority is ensuring the health and safety for our residents,” said York Region Chairman and CEO Wayne Emmerson. “With additional clinic sites we can further support those most vulnerable in our community and move us closer to immunizing everyone against COVID-19.”
“With support from our hospital partners and additional vaccine supply, we are very pleased to open more clinics ahead of schedule,” said Dr. Karim Kurji, York Region’s Medical Officer of Health, who had previously said that the Ice Palace would open in April, a full month after the other clinics.
“We understand there is a large volume of interest for vaccines and we thank everyone for their patience as we expand opportunities as vaccine becomes available.”
The other clinics opening on March 1 are located at:
- Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital – located in the City of Vaughan, operated by Mackenzie Health
- Cornell Community Centre – located in the City of Markham, operated by Eastern York Region North Durham (EYRND) Ontario Health Team (OHT)
- Ray Twinney Recreation Complex – located in the Town of Newmarket, operated by Southlake Regional Health Centre.
- Pefferlaw loses another retailer, as Bodley’s closes after more than 110 years - December 6, 2022
- Keswick woman beats Canadian powerlifting record - December 5, 2022
- Festival of Lights: The magic of the winter season - December 5, 2022